Wednesday, March 7, 2012

reflection on a twitter chat


My first real experience of twitter was an #edchat (is # a vowel or a consonant?) a week or two ago.  Topic:  How do we know when our students are engaged.  What was it like?  It was like a cocktail party.  Every comment short and maybe sweet.  It takes a little work to condense a thought into 140 characters.  With #edchat the action is fast and furious. If it takes a few minutes to compose a retweet, decide what of the original to include, etc.  during that time you’ll have missed a lot.  I was totally lost – I couldn’t figure out whether to retweet, or reply, what hash tag(s) to put on it.  So I basically lurked after the first 15 minutes.  But I guess that’s the idea.  I guess it’s meant to be like a cocktail party.  Maybe participate in a few conversations, maybe learn a few things.
There’s one thing that really annoyed me – I started paying attention about a half hour before the session began, when there were not so many tweets coming through and I was able to follow a lot more.  The percentage of tweets that had a link to a blog site that required registration to read the entire post was high – and I know that on the internet e-mail addresses are like currency.  I also found at least one person who seemed to have an automated tweet with #edchat going on that led to a site hawking his products.  That kind of thing turns me off in a big way. 
Today I learned how to block and report spam, but am I willing to use that function?  Let’s see.  I looked in a little while ago and saw a very interesting tweet in #edcaht.  Followed the link to the ASCD website to read a blog post about “7 myths about rigor”.  At the end of the post I was directed to learn how to conquer those myths ------- by purchasing a book from their bookstore.  Blatant spam.  But no report from me.  Because, hey, they’ve got a .org domain.  That means it’s a non-profit, right?  They’re only trying to help, right?  I don’t know.  Maybe.  Does the end justify the means?  

No comments:

Post a Comment