Thursday, March 15, 2012


On the integration of iPads at Oceanside High. 

First off, I was pretty amazed at the campus, the quality of students and the quality of the work they were doing.  I am new to this area, and the only impression I have of the area schools has come from my cohort, but I was under the impression that O-side had a not so great reputation.  But I would love to teach there. 
Anyway, on to the iPads.  Clearly they have not had time to really get full value from them, but for my money JUST being able to do assessment for learning is enough to warrant the expense.  I asked how that process could be achieved without those devices and the presenting teacher kind of danced around the question, but the true answer was ”It can’t”.  At least it can’t without some form of automated randomization of test questions and that requires at least computer access.  It’s also true that the type of testing they were doing is not a panacea.  Students could practice on a problem until they get it, yet not be able to apply the principle to a different set of circumstances. But it’s still a great tool and even that sort of second-tier rote learning is a better foundation for advanced study of Physics than most HS students get. 
The chem teacher is apparently also recording lectures or example for kids to work with individually.  He announced that he would be recording a vlog on some topic that evening.  So they are apparently doing at least some degree of flipped instruction.
I’m sure they’ll use the technology to greater and greater advantage  as time goes by – because they believe in it are committed getting the best out of it.  The main thing, though, is that they seem committed to student-centric education, and that’s where the action is.

No comments:

Post a Comment