Monday, May 7, 2012

On a more serious topic - I'm grading a lab.  There's an old saying about labs:  "If it smells bad it's Cemistry, if it's green or fuzzy, it's biology, and if it doesn't work it's Physics."

The lab had the students varying the length of a tube with a tuning fork vibrating at it's mouth and locating the lengths at which the tube resonated.  Then they figure out the wavelength and calculate the speed of sound.  NOBODY, not even I, found the fundamental.  We could hear the variation on volume fine, but couldn't find the shortest resonant length.  I've been trying to grade this thing for 2 days.   I decided to kind of pretend that they did find the fundamental, but what really bothers me are two things.  First, only a couple of the students acknowledged that their measurements were WAY off of theory.  It seems the only thing they learned is the old adage quoted above.  They don't worry if it doesn't work - as long as they know what format to write their report in (kind of like what I'm doing now).  The other thing is, why did I not catch it while it was happening?  I didn't design the lab, but why not run it the night before to make sure it worked?  (In self-defense against self-attack, I've done that with most of the labs)  And why not check their results on the fly (again, as I usually do) to make sure things were working out?  I guess that had to do with their working outside, widely separated, with no tables to set their notes on and for me to look over their shoulders at.  But I could have done it better by controlling the situation to the point where I could get a verbal response that would tell me where they were at.

No comments:

Post a Comment